Perhaps I Should Rethink the “Saving Energy” Thing

bowl of popcorn

Sooooo, today was a rather trying day. Not horrible, or even bad. Just trying. By the end of it I was very ready for boys to just. be. quiet. Thank you.

Hubby was kind enough to supervise bedtime routine. I showed up for prayers, then retreated to the bedroom to play a mindless computer game for a while.

Saving energy has been a goal lately so there were no lights on in the room other than the computer monitor. When I finished playing, I naturally turned off the monitor (saving energy, dontcha know) and turned to leave the room.

My room. In the dark. A room with which I was very familiar.

I hadn’t noticed that certain less-than-wise individuals who happen to be under the age of 12 had moved a chair directly into the path from my chair to the door. It took me all of two seconds to slam my foot into the leg of the chair. Shocked by both the surprise and the sudden pain in my toes I almost fell over.

You’ll be happy to know that I didn’t land on my knees in the dark. Instead I pitched forward (holding my popcorn bowl in my hand by the way) and broke my own fall….with my head.

Yes, Internets, I slammed my toe into the chair leg and completed the operation by whacking my head on the back of it.

I don’t think I spilled any popcorn though.

Hubby laughed hysterically at me when I shared my tale of woe. My toe still hurts thankyouverymuch, and I had to take some Advil for my head.

Is there no sympathy for poor victimized mothers in this world??

Earnest Parenting: help for parents who hit their heads.

Image courtesy of jessica.diamond via Creative Commons license, some rights reserved.

five × 8 =

• Bethany Gifted October 21, 2008, 9:20 am

lol I know exactly what you mean! We try and do the right things, oh well at least you did save some energy 🙂

• KeeKee October 21, 2008, 1:27 pm

You have my sympathy. My grandmother had 9 sons before she had my mother at the age of 42 and yes she was the last one. SHE gives you her sympathy too.

• Beth Fork October 22, 2008, 7:18 am

10 children? gosh I thought my parents were bad having 4, thats nothing in comparison!

• Men October 22, 2008, 5:26 pm

You should perhaps end your writing with “Is there no sympathy for poor victimized mothers in this world (who really loves popcorn)??” ;P

• Amy October 23, 2008, 12:05 am

Bethany, nice to meet you! Have you been injured in the line of duty? 😉

Keekee, so glad to have you comment. 10 kids, wow! That’s amazing. I suppose you get used to it as you go along. 🙂

Beth thank you for joining the conversation as well! How many kids do you have? Or want to have, if you don’t already?

• Amy October 23, 2008, 12:12 am

Men: LOL. And very nice site, by the way. Best of luck to you!

• Jerry October 23, 2008, 12:11 pm

We’re all for saving energy in our house, but safety always comes first! We have those night lights that sense when it is dark and come on automatically. Might I suggest that you put one of those in your computer/bedroom room as a safeguard against future injury?

• Wii October 24, 2008, 7:38 am

Energy is good to store and we all need to save it. Just try to be safe from being energetic by safety.

• Amy October 27, 2008, 1:58 am

Jerry, that’s probably a very good idea. Lol. The office is moving out of the room sometime soon, at which point boys will spend much less time moving chairs around when I’m not looking.

Wii, I’ll be careful. 🙂

• Bethany Moors October 27, 2008, 8:28 am

Well in our house we are using candles at the moment, but I have to admit its because non of us have bought any light bulbs and we were down to one spot light in each room and now in a few rooms there are non. Its quite romantic though with all the candles AND it saves energy ha

• Bethany Gifted October 27, 2008, 11:12 am

Night lights are great, where can you buy them from I havent seen them for years?

• Amy October 27, 2008, 12:31 pm

Bethany Moors wow. I love candle light. Whenever the power goes out and we’re sitting with only candle light I like how the house looks. Except for the no internet part. Hate that. 😉

Bethany Gifted I find night lights at what we call “big box” stores here in the US. Do you have something like that in the UK? Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot carry them in the lighting section. I’m sure you could find something online if you searched via Google or Yahoo….

• Donate a car November 5, 2008, 4:13 am

lol I know exactly what you mean! and the situation too..

• Remus November 5, 2008, 4:42 pm

Lol. nice post -First time i read your blog and i enjoy it. Nice design also 🙂

• Amy November 6, 2008, 10:08 pm

Remus, thanks for taking the time to comment and thanks for the compliment on the design! I’m pretty fond of it myself. 🙂

• Air Jordans November 8, 2008, 7:25 pm

We really have to do that… Not only to save but also to put ourselves into discipline… Smile always 😀

• Amy November 15, 2008, 2:44 am