Still Smelling the Roses

rosebutterfly.jpg

Hubby and the boys blessed me with some gorgeous flowers for Mother’s Day. Love them! They came via FedEx, so I had to unpack them and get them all arranged. This was fun – I’m easily amused. One of the directions was to peel two or three petals off of each rose as the tough protective petals were left on the buds for shipping. So, I peeled.

pile of rose petals on table

This was of course a great opportunity for some learning so I called The Manager and Captain Earthquake (the older boys were not home at the time) and cupped the petals in my hand to show them. First we inhaled deeply. Okay, well I did and then the Captain tried it and when he approved, then The Manager deigned to dip his nose my way. He’s, uhhh, not one to try new things.

The boys each picked out a few petals and enjoyed touching and pinching them, something they’re normally told not to do. Then The Manager took off for some computer time, but the Captain decided it would be fun to float the petals in some water. Totally his idea!

rose petals floating in water

He really enjoyed putting the petals into the water. Then we noticed that some were attracted to the side of the bowl (static charge of some sort?) while others floated in the middle. The Captain experimented with dunking the petals underwater, pushing on some lightly and exclaiming over how much weight a rose petal can carry.

I couldn’t resist getting out some tacky glue and a few fuzzy balls to try my hand at making something. Here’s my first attempt at a butterfly.

dragonfly made from rose petals and pipe cleaner

Then I thought these pink petals looked like a dragonfly.

butterfly made from rose petals and pipe cleaner

‘Nother butterfly attempt.

peach and yellow flower made from rose petals and pom pom

This flower was my favorite of the 4 things I tried. What do you think?

A day after my crafty little experiment all the petals are wilting. Bummer. I’m thinking about drying a few petals and trying again in a few days. If I actually remember to do it, I’ll let you know.

pom pom floating in water with rose petals

Looks like a certain someone did a little extra experimenting when I was away from the table.

Earnest Parenting: help for parents who want to play with rose petals.

five − 2 =

• KY's Commonwealth Eye Surgery May 11, 2009, 5:54 am

interesting
    enjoy with your kids. 🙂

• Pink Mobiles May 12, 2009, 2:20 am

That was a nice activity to do with your children. I have two girls, oldest nearly 6, and a little boy and I find it hard to find quality time with each of them. I can imagine having two sets of twin boys takes it to another level. LOL. Good luck

• boyfriend birthday gift ideas May 12, 2009, 2:28 am

hey, is that real flowers? It is my first time to see kind of rose like that. Really beautiful 😀

• Daikin Air Conditioners Gold Coast May 12, 2009, 6:20 am

Very nice. Best wishes for you and your kids and hope for smelling love every where in your house with your kidzy flowers

• Cash Property Sale May 12, 2009, 11:21 am

Wow they are cute! Nice Work!

• Jason May 12, 2009, 11:41 am

Wow, very creative. I like the dragonfly

• Seo Services May 12, 2009, 3:28 pm

the flowers are beautiful and sweet.enjoy

• karla the doing bussines in the philipines May 12, 2009, 11:27 pm

That is so creative of you. And this is a nice activity with kids. Oh and I love the flower butterflies by the way. 🙂

• Refurbished Laptop Computers May 13, 2009, 10:14 pm

Pulling the outside petals off the buds threw me a curve the first time I received a shipment from Pro Flowers, but I guess it makes sense. I wonder if your flowers were from Pro Flowers. They seem to be everywhere when it comes to Internet flowers.

• nissan virtual office makati May 13, 2009, 11:35 pm

Your boys are so sweet. Any way happy mothers day. It’s quite late.

• Amy May 15, 2009, 12:15 am

KY’s Commonwealth Eye Surgery, 🙂

Pink Mobiles I do the best I can but I’m sure the boys would tell you that they don’t get as much attention as they’d like. I figure this comes with having 4 kids and just do the best I can.

boyfriend birthday gift ideas, definitely real! They still smell great too.

Daikin Air Conditioners Gold Coast, Cash Property Sale, Jason, and SEO Services, thanks!

karla I’m glad you liked them. It was a fun project while it lasted.

Refurbished Laptop Computers you nailed it. I’ve not heard of them before, but that’s where the flowers came from.

nissan virtual office makati, thanks. A kind wish is always welcome even after the official day. 🙂

• office space philippines May 15, 2009, 3:27 am

Nice activity. Love reading your blogs. And cutie kids!

• hingis May 16, 2009, 4:26 pm

The flowers are losing their scent
    The buzz of bees is diminishing
    The stock of the forest is spent
    The banquet of fish is finishing
    The glaciers are melting and dying
    The frogs are all covered in mould
    The birds have given up flying
    The soil’s become sterile and old
    Every colourful creature that flew or that crept
    Will disappear utterly. Nobody wept
    At their fading; no-one will notice until
    Every path, every road grows silent and still
    If you dwell on the scene, you’ll see the decay:
    So put the pleasure back into driving by purchasing a new H2 Hummer today.

• vitamins May 18, 2009, 6:53 am

My girlfriend complains that I am always in a hurry and do not stop to smell roses. She says that I am missing a lot in life.

• delson has his social networking philippines May 28, 2009, 5:25 am

indeed, making these crafts really is a creative way of smelling the flowers and putting them in your hair. i would love to try this on my own if I found a spare time.

• Online Printing June 6, 2009, 2:50 am

Those butterflies look really cute! But I have to say the last one, the flower, that is something else! It’s a work of art. I love the how the color yellow is so bright and matches the pinkish ones underneath. Really amazing work! Thanks!

• Laptop Repairs Sydney June 29, 2009, 3:52 am

Your attempt to give new look to the flower is really admirable. I like first one much.