I Think He Got Distracted or Something

red soccer ball

Hubby had some dental work this afternoon and came home with a very sore mouth. The boys were just delighted to see him so early in the day; he’s been working late a lot and they miss him. We were still working on lessons, so Hubby flopped on the couch while the younger boys and I finished up math.

Captain Earthquake eyed his father, then leaned over to me and whispered, “Can I go get Daddy something?” Touched by the sweetness of his request I said, “Of course.”

While he was gone, I thought warm thoughts about how sweet my boy is and how wonderful it is that he had compassion for his poor suffering father. He returned shortly….

Carrying a toy basketball which he handed to his very puzzled father. I got Hubby’s attention and said, “He’s giving you that so you feel better.”

“Ohhh,” said Hubby, “Thank you.” And he hugged the Captain.

That’s when I said, “Because everyone knows that a toy basketball helps you feel better when you’re sick.”

And Captain Earthquake said, “It does???”

Earnest Parenting: help for parents who feel better with toy basketballs.

Image courtesy of Ma1974 via Creative Commons license, some rights reserved.

5 + three =

• devi March 12, 2009, 8:26 am

haha.. LOL

• Prom Tuxedos March 12, 2009, 12:42 pm

Yes you are right. It keeps your fresh and boost your energy.

• brisbane dentist March 13, 2009, 12:30 am

I love playing the basket ball. If you gets something which is your loving thing that will surely act as a tonic for the person who is ill.

• carl crossman March 14, 2009, 10:31 pm

Got to love those kids!

• munten bankbiljetten March 16, 2009, 9:31 am

πŸ™‚ very cool haha

• Sunny March 16, 2009, 2:14 pm

Haha, that’s funny. I’m new to your blog, how old is he?

• Amy March 16, 2009, 8:26 pm

devi, glad you laughed!

Prom Tuxedos, agreed. And energy boosts are important.

brisbane dentist absolutely. The funny thing is that no one here plays basketball really. We’re hoping to install a hoop this spring though.

carl crossman, yes, I do!

• Amy March 16, 2009, 8:39 pm

munten bankbiljetten, thanks!

Sunny, he’s 6. Nice to meet you!!

• Radio Controlled Boats March 18, 2009, 10:36 pm

It’s moments like these that make my kids a joy in my life. Thanks.

• clear credit card debt March 19, 2009, 1:38 am

I agree with you. It keeps your fresh and boost your energy. I am new to your blog. My sister love playing the basket ball. If you gets something which is your loving thing that will surely act as a tonic for the person who is ill……………….

• Building Insurance March 19, 2009, 7:13 am

great story. LOL

• Sea Pines Rentals March 20, 2009, 1:26 am

I love playing the basket ball.Very cool one.That’s so funny.I am totally agree with you.keep it up dear.

• Amy March 21, 2009, 6:26 pm

That story put me in mind of the day my son gave me one of his favorite toy dinosaurs for my birthday gift. Aren’t kids so adorable!

• design your own t shirts March 23, 2009, 2:10 am

I love playing the basket ball and the story mention above are obviously liked by the parents specially by the mothers.

• sea pines rentals March 23, 2009, 5:13 am

My cousin also love playing the basket ball.Very cool one.I am totally agree with you.keep it up dear.

• Francis Ameda Pumps March 25, 2009, 1:24 am

How touching. The sweetest and kind actions of your kid’s makes your stressful day go away. I love it when they do that! Great kid’s you got there. you are blessed.

• Amy March 27, 2009, 9:54 pm

Radio Controlled Boats, thanks! And nice to have you stop by.

Clear Credit Card Debt, so nice to meet you. πŸ™‚

Building Insurance, thanks! Glad you liked it.

Sea Pines Rentals Basket ball is fun, isn’t it? We’re hoping to get a regular hoop this spring for the boys to enjoy.

Amy, awwwwww! That’s so sweet.

design your own t shirts It is a fun game! Do you play often?

sea pines rentals, thanks!

Francis Ameda Pumps yes I am blessed. Thank you.

• kids games March 28, 2009, 11:44 pm

Now, a MOM wouldn’t have needed that explanation. Mom’s get it all right away, intuitively.

Dads can be a bit clueless with intangibles…but they’re good for other stuff (like hauling in the groceries from the trunk). πŸ˜‰

• Psychologist Sydney March 31, 2009, 2:53 am

Nice post!
    It is always very energetic to play different games including basketball .i am totally agree with the post.
    keep it up

• Amy April 14, 2009, 10:27 pm

kids games, lol. In defense of Dads, I can be clueless too. I just happen to have been in on the early part of the conversation or I may not have understood either.

Psychologist Sydney, Thanks! And you’re right, games are important.

• Employee leasing April 19, 2009, 11:38 pm

Very cute kids. Most of the time, kids really do understand what their parents are going through even though parents don’t tell them. They have this instinct that something is wrong and what they do is they make their parents feel better in the best way that they can be.

• KY's Commonwealth Eye Surgery May 8, 2009, 1:14 am

Touchy post Amy. You have a nice kid.

• Prosthetic Dental Laboratory May 14, 2009, 5:09 pm

That the best way a kid can say I love you, don’t you think?

• Blu Ray Ripper September 29, 2009, 2:03 pm

LOL.. this post made my day πŸ™‚

thanks for sharing this πŸ™‚

-faraz