From Puppies to People

cute puppy in the middle of a pillow that's been destroyed

When the boys were small, I often felt like I was really the mother of puppies. I mean really, when you think about it…small children are very much like small dogs. Communication is verbal from you, physical from them. They wiggle a lot, make messes, and chew on things.

The transition from puppy to person is a slow one. But I love it.

Watching their hearts and minds develop and mature is just amazing, and every now and then I get a glimpse of the men they’re going to be.

TechnoBoy’s sense of humor has been developing over time and his wit just keeps getting sharper. I said something the other day in Hubby’s hearing about how boys being annoying was against the rules and I wasn’t going to have it. Hubby asked, “Who IS allowed to be annoying?” and I answered, “Parents, of course!”. TechnoBoy was right in there, saying, “Well THAT’s always been true!!”

Then there’s the Mercenary. As bossy as he can get sometimes we all want to toss him in a snowdrift, but ask him to help his younger brothers work out a math page and he’s right there.

The Manager and Captain Earthquake have been knocking my socks off lately with their responsibility. Many days their beds are made and the boys are dressed for school without me having to ask. And (don’t tell the older boys I said this) they’re usually superior in their room-cleaning skills every night.

This whole growing up thing is a slow process and there are days when I feel like ripping my hair out and throwing it at them. We’re all growing together though, and as we mature and deepen our friendships life gets better. As their skills improve responsibilities increase, we are freed up to do more fun and interesting things together. The ride gets more entertaining all the time.

Earnest Parenting: help for parents who enjoy their children’s humor.

1 − one =

• temporary shared office February 24, 2009, 5:28 am

This article comparing a growing child to a puppy turning to dog is a very good comparison. I agree that kids are like puppies who shows their feeling and appreciation with the movement of their body. Kids who doesn’t know how to talk yet show their thoughts by their actions. Just like a puppy who are very excited when his owner came, the waggling of his tail is so strong that shows excitement.

But still, there’s a big difference between a kid and a puppy. Kids, as they grow older they learn to talk and express their thoughts in words but the puppies become a dogs still think like a puppies.

• building office in makati February 25, 2009, 12:32 am

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Kids are just like puppies they showed their thoughts through action.^_^

• Doing business in the Philippines February 27, 2009, 3:41 am

Nice article, The comparison between child and puppies are too close.In some things, of course they are totally different.

• Amy March 1, 2009, 12:52 am

temporary shared office thanks. You’re right, as they age there’s a huge difference between kids and dogs. 🙂 Although with all boys, I do see a pack mentality around here sometimes, lol.

building office in makati they do show their thoughts that way. They express affection similarly too, which is fun. Although I do admit they don’t like my face. I’m glad for that.

Doing business in the Philippines, thanks! Yes I know the analogy gets pretty weak quite quickly but it’s still fun. 🙂

• Vasectomy Reversal Surgery March 2, 2009, 12:46 am

Its a perfect matching comparison of Puppies and Child because they are so cute and loves every one.

• Baby Diaper Cake March 3, 2009, 8:23 pm

what a nice take on things, lovely article.
    Yes it is amazing how quickly they change and grow up. it is a joy to watch.

• Amy March 16, 2009, 7:49 pm

Vasectomy Reversal Surgery thanks! I thought so too. My boys are busy perfecting their cuteness and doing a good job of it.

Baby Diaper Cake: thanks to you as well! It is a joy but also a bit scary. They change so fast!

• Sunny March 17, 2009, 10:16 pm

I love watching it happen too. One minute they’re shrieking at the thought of sharing, next they’re passing things back and forth frantically. And saying thank you too. O_O

• Amy March 27, 2009, 9:49 pm

Sunny it’s those rewarding moments that keep you going, isn’t it?

• office space philippines April 12, 2009, 10:56 pm

I love puppies! Puppies are like children too. A puppy/dog is said to have a mind of a 3year old child that’s why they are easy to be trained.
    Children are like puppies. They act like puppies. They show their feelings through their actions. They play games. They mess a lot. They are explorers. They are adventurous. It seems like they are always happy.

• Amy April 15, 2009, 12:09 am

office space philippines exactly! I got a little bit of resistance to the boys=puppies idea over the years, but it’s so true. Especially when they’re really little. And if you have more than one at a time, that pack mentality really rules.